Saturday, April 26, 2014

How To Keep Busy While Recovering: Who? Doctor Who...That's Who

Yes, I know I've already talked about watching TV with my Amazon Instant Video and Netflix posts...but Doctor Who is so awesome that it deserves it's own post.  It's adventurous and funny and makes me feel better when I watch it.  And feeling better and being in a positive state of mind is helpful with the healing process.
http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/p/a-to-z-challenge-sign-uplist-2014.html

Note to self:  do not write a book on Doctor Who...just a short post is sufficient :)

My Short History with Doctor Who
In 2005 the BBC did a reboot of Doctor Who.  All episodes of DW before the reboot are known as Doctor Who Classics.  I've tried watching several of the Classic episodes, but I can't seem to get into them.  While the stories themselves may be good, I just can't get past the way it was filmed.  Die hard Whovians will probably hate me for not loving the Classic Who's, but such is life.  I can't please everyone.

Anyway, I started watching the 2005 reboot about 3 years ago.  My husband and I were bored over the summer with nothing to watch and we had just gotten Netflix streaming, so we decided to give Doctor Who a shot.  I pretty much loved it after just a few episodes.  And after David Tennant came...oh my...he was just great.  In addition to Tennant being a great actor, he has the best hair, ever, on the planet.  I have thing for hair.  Don't ask.


My Favorites

 

Favorite Doctor:  As much love as I have for Tennant, my favorite Doctor is Matt Smith, aka:  the bow tie Doctor (that's what my son calls him).  He was the first Doctor I ever dreamt about.

Favorite Companion:  River Song.  I love how strong of a character she is!  And the chemistry between Alex Kingston and Matt Smith is amazing.

Smith, Tennant, and Hurt
Favorite Episodes:
The Girl in the Fireplace
Vincent and the Doctor
Blink
(not necessarily in that order)
I also really loved the 50th Anniversary special.  Tennant and Smith were absolutely fantastic!  I really wish that John Hurt could have stuck around a bit more...maybe someday they'll bring him back.  He was such a great Doctor.


Favorite Person to Watch With: my son...he's 10...pretty sure that's the target audience even though Doctor Who is really for anyone of any age.  I just have the most fun watching with my boy :)

BTW...currently, Amazon Prime has all 7 seasons of Doctor Who.

Are you a fellow Whovian? When did you start watching? Who is your favorite Doctor? What are your favorite episodes?


_____________________________________________________________
 


4 comments:

  1. I haven't watched any of the classic Who yet because I'm worried i won't be able to get past how old it looks. Tried watching the old Hitchhiker's TV show and had that problem. One day, though, I'll suck it up and give it a shot. Who knows, maybe I'll love them as much. =D

    ~Patricia Lynne~
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, YA Author

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't get past it. Every time I watch an old epi, I fall asleep LOL I have the same problem with books I'm not into.

      Delete
  2. Certainly a big fan base for Dr.Who. It's in my queue. So much to watch, so little time. Especially during A to Z month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A to Z is almost over...you'll have time soon. Soon :)

      Delete