Monday, April 28, 2014

How To Keep Busy While Recovering: eXamination

Being slowed down for so long has forced me to examine what's really important in my life.  The activities I do...the projects I'm involved in...even the people around me have fallen into a scale-from-one-to-ten-how-loyal-are-you-really.
http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/p/a-to-z-challenge-sign-uplist-2014.html

This last round of surgeries, I have to say that I've been equally disappointed in some people who I thought would have been there for me, and happily surprised by others who have been here to help.  There's family that I thought would have helped more, and acquaintances that have really gone out of their way to make me meals, or offer me rides.  People are always surprising me...in good ways and bad.  It's always a mystery.

Some activities that I have been involved in for a while seem less important to me now.  I really cherish the time I have with my family...especially since I've had more bad days than good lately.  On those good days, I want to spend it with the people that I love and cherish the most.  I want happiness and easiness and no drama (which isn't always so easy with a teenage daughter!).  So certain volunteer causes that I thought were dear to me, just seem so little now by comparison.  I want to get things done and because I'm not feeling well most of the time, I don't want any extra drama or difficulty.  I guess it took two surgeries to open my eyes to some things.

And so my priorities have changed.  I've trimmed the fat, so to speak.  With the people in my life as well as the things I'm willing to spend my time and energy on.

Have you ever had a clarifying moment like this?  If you've had to “trim the fat”, what made the cut for you?


_____________________________________________________________
 

4 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I found your blog through the A to Z challenge, and just wanted to say I can both sympathise, and empathise. I have endometriosis, and also another chronic condition doctors are still trying to find a definitive diagnosis for, and it's draining. Today is a good day, I have no pain, but tomorrow, who knows.
    I truly hope that cutting out the excess stresses in your life helps ease thingd for you

    Flip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will wish you, like I wish all other fellow sufferers, more good days than bad. Take care and thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  2. It really makes you wonder, stuff you do, and assume will be taken over while you are layed up and no one even tries! Amanda was 3 when I had Casey, the hospital was over an hour away where I was having him, long story, but anyhow so I had a couple of false labors and lots of appoinments that I took her with me to, she was a trooper and would bring stuff to color and draw, flash cards to learn words and stuff, we even did Halloween in Truckee staying in a motel, so cold she would do two or three houses and back in the car to warm up but then we went home, water broke the 2nd, had to have a C section, no one came to see me 'til 3 days later to pick us up. So in they come and here her hair had not been brushed and was all in knots I was super mad, my mom and husband had failed me so badly I made the doc wait to take out my staples until I had her hair right, took a while too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's frustrating when you expect help and don't get it. For me, I find it hard to ask for help, but I am getting better at it. It's always nice when people offer help because then I don't feel like such an imposition. Thanks for the comment and I hope you are getting more help these days.

      Delete