Saturday, April 19, 2014

How To Keep Busy While Recovering: Queen For A Day

http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/p/a-to-z-challenge-sign-uplist-2014.htmlI talked about having company over, and friends over, and ordering stuff online...all these things are happening at your home.  Maybe you'd like to get out and go for a little adventure, but you are still weak or, like me, couldn't really walk around.  The answer:  get a wheelchair and have a friend or loved one take you somewhere and be a queen for a day.

You can get a wheelchair a few different ways.  Many insurance companies will let you rent one immediately following surgery.  I knew I would be having a second surgery, so it was cost effective for me to just buy one out of pocket.  I ordered this one online through Amazon.   Many stores have wheelchairs or electric scooters that you can use.  This is another option.  The only downside to this is if they are all taken, you are out of luck :(

Years ago, after I had knee surgery, I still needed to plan for my daughter's first birthday party...life doesn't stop just because you have major surgery!  So I asked my bff if he would be willing to wheel me through Party City.  *Public Service Announcement:  if you see someone pushing someone else in a wheelchair, hold the door!  Jeez, you'd think it was common sense.  Anyway, shopping this way definitely was a time saver.  I wasn't able to dilly-dally in the store like I usually do.  The bff thought this was great and I got to get all the goodies for my baby's party.

A great memory I have is from this past summer when my husband would take me out for “walks” around the neighborhood.  Of course, I was in the wheelchair, but it was helpful to get some fresh air and sunlight.  And being with my hubby and kids made me feel more normal.

If you know someone who is stuck at home, please volunteer yourself to take them out.  To the grocery store, or out for a “walk”, or to lunch, or wherever.  It's not always easy to ask for help, so be a good Samaritan and offer it.

Have you ever been helped or helped someone get out for a day?

_____________________________________________________________
 


4 comments:

  1. My aunt is in a wheelchair, but she doesn't often need help given she's been using it most of her life. Recently, she did get a nifty thing for her car that loaded her wheelchair so she didn't have to do it herself. My mom called it The Transformer (even though it didn't really transform anything.)

    ~Patricia Lynne~
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, YA Author

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She must feel a greater sense of freedom with her new transformer :) It's nice when you get things that make your life easier!

      Delete
  2. My MIL has poor peripheral vision so told everyone she was no longer going to drive.
    I now spend a few days a month driving her around somewhere.
    It's all good until she starts adding stops onto our outing.
    She loves to shop. I hate it. I hope all this good karma will help me one day. :)
    Heather

    Heather M. Gardner
    The Waiting is the Hardest Part
    Stormy's Sidekick
    Blogging from A to Z April Challenge Co-Host

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you call good karma, I call Heaven points. I figure God has to have some kind of fair system :) You are getting lots of Heaven points every time you take your MIL out!

      Delete