Wednesday, April 2, 2014

How To Keep Busy While Recovering: Blog

Yes, blog...as in the verb.  

After my first ankle surgery, I realized after being non-weight bearing for almost 2 months, that I could make better use of my time.  So I decided to start blogging to help others get information that I was looking for myself, and in the process, maybe help someone else out. 
 

If you're going in for surgery, and it's possible, I would recommend keeping a blog about your recovery.  Here's why:
  • Keeps family and friends informed of your progress
  • Helps you remember just how far you've come
  • Can help when you're ready for those post-op check ups and answering questions
  • By blogging about your experience, you may be helping someone else out who will be going through the same thing as you.

Expectant moms who are on bed rest or are seriously taking it slow physically, in anticipation of your little one arriving...blog!  This is probably the best reason to blog...you have a little miracle growing inside of you and what better way to keep your loved ones informed of your progress.  Plus, maybe your bundle of joy will someday be able to read about all you went through while creating them.  And then you have a written account of all the good (and bad) stuff that you went through during your pregnancy...stuff that you usually end up forgetting just in time to decide to have baby number two :)

Plus, speaking from experience, I've found blogging to be cathartic.  I guess this is why people keep diaries and journals.  Sometimes it's helpful to just get things off your chest and let it go.

For anyone who has kept a blog of their recovery experience, please post your link below! 


_____________________________________________________________
 



20 comments:

  1. Hello!

    Visiting from the to A to Z Challenge, my friend did this when she was going through Cancer, also found it cathartic and good to share experiences. As a friend who didn't live nearby it was a great way to keep in touch and it meant she didn't have to waste her energy updating everyone with the same information at different times.

    Great advice! Good luck with the rest of the challenge.

    Mars
    Curling Stones for Lego People

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found a way to keep in touch with your friend while she was sick and I hope she is doing well now. Thanks for the comment Mars! And good luck to you too!

      Delete
  2. Nice theme for the challenge. Just a suggestion, please increase the font size of the post.

    Also, do drop in at The Sinhas at No 302. Because we love our guests. First time reader or regular one, share your thoughts, will you some?
    sinhasat302.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. for some crazy reason this post's font size went way smaller than how I normally post. Weird. Thanks for the feedback!

      Delete
  3. Have a good recovery. I wish you well.
    This is a great theme.

    Rhi
    scruffy-duck.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words :) Best of luck with your A to Z!

      Delete
  4. I found you on the A to Z and am checking in to wish you well. Blogging has been a great addition to my life. I love to discover new blogs, make new friends, and so on. I am your latest follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow! This is my first A to Z and it's been so exciting meeting new people and seeing so many blogs...I love your theme btw :) See you around!

      Delete
  5. Your blog will be very helpful to those looking at ankle replacement surgery. Great idea. Had knee replacement in 2011 another coming 2015 or so.
    ~Cyborg Melisse (who also writes about cyborgs!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Katie! Thanks for stopping by my blog! It's nice to "meet" you!

    I'm a fairly new blogger, but it has been an amazing experience. I love that I get to meet new people and hear about their experiences. People who've never met in person buoy each other up and offer support and words of encouragement. It's a great thing! I can see how it would be great for those recovering from surgery or who are bed-ridden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great advice and such a positive vibe.
    Simply sound thinking.
    Get well soon. Hope your ankle is fine now.
    http://inderpreetkaur.blogspot.in/2014/04/color-not-kind-i-like.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still working on my ankle...thanks for the kind words :)

      Delete
  8. Sorry about your ankle, I hope the surgery went well and the blogging keeps you busy.
    Visiting from AtoZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogging has definitely kept my mind occupied...better than watching tv all day :)

      Delete
  9. I just checked out your photos. GROSS! and AWESOME!!
    The scars healed so flat but they looked so lumpy at first. The human body is amazing.

    I started my blog to bitch about the publishing process but its turned into so much more.
    HMG

    Heather M. Gardner
    The Waiting is the Hardest Part
    Stormy's Sidekick
    Blogging from A to Z April Challenge Co-Host

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re: the photos...umm...thank you? LOL I guess you're one of the strange ones like me who equate gross and awesome :D Enjoying your blogs Heather!

      Delete
  10. Totally agree with this idea. While going through chemo, surgery and radiation for my breast cancer last year, my blog was a place I could put all my updates and thoughts in one place for all my friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God Bless you Teresa! Hope your cancer is gone for good!

      Delete