Thursday, April 17, 2014

How To Keep Busy While Recovering: Pray

http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/p/a-to-z-challenge-sign-uplist-2014.htmlHow appropriate that my letter for P happens to be for prayer...and is scheduled to fall on Good Friday.

I will be posting two letters on Thursday, April 17 because April 18 is Good Friday.  As a practicing Catholic, I try not to do much on Good Friday.  It's a day of prayer and reflection, and one of the few days that Catholics are asked to fast (I don't fast because I'm hypoglycemic and get sick if I do).

After my second ankle surgery, I asked if I could see a priest while I was in the hospital.  I wish I remembered his name, because he was a truly nice man to speak with.  He offered me confession and afterward I was given communion.  It was a little spiritual boost for me...something that my soul was thirsty for.

Prayer has gotten me through a lot of tough times in my life and this past year has been no different.  There are times that I need to calm myself...either because I have anxiety, or depression, or pain.  At these times I take out my rosary beads and pray.  It's a form of meditation for me.

Do you have certain prayers or meditation techniques that help you get through hard times?

_____________________________________________________________
 


13 comments:

  1. I'm totally with you. I start every day and end every night with prayer, and slip in at least 3 to five between. I don't think I could make it through the day without prayer. Even cyborgs need divine assistance. ;)

    Great to meet you!

    True Heroes from A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to pray short prayers throughout the day. I try to say thank you more than ask for things as much as I can. Just meditating is good sometimes.

    Thanks for joining in with the #AZchat

    Lee
    A Few Words
    An A to Z Co-host blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had fun with my first twitter chat! A nice group of people makes things easier :)

      I think prayers of thanks are probably my favorite...it puts you in a grateful state of mind...being happy for what you have is a good way to be.

      Delete
  3. Prayer definitely is miraculous! I pray twice everyday when I begin and end my day.I'm sure it must be a big solace to you when you're recovering from your illness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very helpful to have the priest come to the hospital to pray with me. And during recovery, it has helped me get through some tough times.

      Delete
  4. Hi, I love prayer. I try to pray in the quiet of the night for my tween daughter and family. I like to pray when the house is quiet and the lights out. I will pray for you and your quick recovery. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mary! You are too kind...God bless you!

      Delete
  5. You know I do! I love the Memorare...especially the end where we say Never was it known, that anyone who fled to your protection, implored your help or sought your intercession was left unaided..."

    SO encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My most favorite part of my job is introducing young children to prayer at mealtimes. We keep it non-denominational but they are so precious as they totally speak from the heart. I may have to video it someday. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome! It's cute teaching prayer to little ones...it's so easy for them to be grateful sometimes...and the things they are happy about can sometimes be funny :)

      Delete