Wednesday, April 23, 2014

How To Keep Busy While Recovering: Try An Instrument

http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/p/a-to-z-challenge-sign-uplist-2014.htmlLast summer, after my first ankle surgery, I wanted to try to learn to play the piano.  The biggest challenge I had is that I couldn't sit at the keyboard too long because my foot would swell rather quickly.  I still have the keyboard in my family room, but it's currently collecting dust.

My daughter started taking guitar lessons in January, and my son joined her about six weeks later.  They would practice and I would feel left out.  I'd pick up my son's mini-strat while he was at school and try to play some chords.  I was picking up his guitar so much, that I decided that I wanted my own guitar for my birthday.  So my husband let me buy this...a few weeks before my actual birthday.

My Taylor GS Mini
I went to Guitar Center (which is a little bit of Heaven on earth) and tried a few guitars, but my Taylor was the one I fell in love with.  And it was on sale!  But it still cost a fortune.  Spending money on musical instruments is a bit more palatable than more frivolous expenses.  It's music for goodness sakes!  And music makes people feel better (which I already talked about here).  So my small fortune purchase was justifiable.  Right? :)

Plus, I can play my guitar while sitting in my recliner with my feet up.  And now I can have jam sessions with the kiddos.

Currently I can play Three Little Birds, by Bob Marley, and the intro to Wish You Were Here, by Pink Floyd.  I'm awesome.



Here's my daughter stealing playing my Taylor...


Do you play any instruments?  If you had to be on bed rest, or home recovering from surgery, do you think you would play more or less?

_____________________________________________________________
 


2 comments:

  1. I can sorta play the piano - I'm a singer so I know enough to learn my parts. I don't think I'd play more though. I would just read, knit and eat. I'm a terrible patient!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish God gave me the talent of singing! I love to sing, but I make other people ears bleed :)

      Delete