Thursday, April 3, 2014

How To Keep Busy While Recovering: Company Helps

http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/p/a-to-z-challenge-sign-uplist-2014.htmlHaving a bit of company over helps a ton.  During my first ankle replacement recovery, I was lucky enough to have my kids home for the summer.  What a huge help they were!  And when I had surgery on my second ankle, well...the kids had so many snow days, it was unbelievable.  So I was blessed, yet again, to have them around to help.  They are old enough to heat leftovers up in the microwave and fill my water jugs when they ran low.

I also had “Katie-Sitting” days during the recovery of my first ankle because I had to be non-weight bearing for so long.  There were times when my husband and kids weren't home and I still needed help.  So some of my closest friends came over and “Katie-Sat”.  Mostly they just kept me company, but sometimes my friends helped out with some tidying.  Two of my girlfriends one afternoon cleaned out my refrigerator.  That was awesome!

Another company boost happened when people would drop by because they made a meal for me and my family.  While the meal was great, and very generous, I really loved having someone just stop in for 5-10 minutes and say 'hi'.  Especially in the beginning when I wasn't feeling well at all.  Ten minutes was just enough time to give me a boost of happy without me feeling like I had to entertain.

A big THANK YOU to all my friends who visited, dropped off a meal, or “Katie-Sat”...you were a blessing!  And to my kiddos...I am the luckiest mom on the planet...thanks for all the help you've given me...you've both earned major heaven points :)

Dear Readers...how has company been a help to you while your were recovering?

_____________________________________________________________
 


10 comments:

  1. So many people think they are being a bother when someone is sick or hurt. You're right. Sometimes just getting out of our own head space and listening to others and what's going on outside our own door is the best thing for us.
    HMG

    Heather M. Gardner
    The Waiting is the Hardest Part
    Stormy's Sidekick
    Blogging from A to Z April Challenge Co-Host

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly it! Just a little change from the norm. Thanks for the comment Heather!

      Delete
  2. I thought you were going to talk about alcohol or drug recovery when I read the title. I got somber for a minute. Your friends and family were so kind to make sure to keep you company.
    Nana Prah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, no drugs or alcohol here...just plain ole surgery recovery :) And yes, I am very blessed to have had such a great support system. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. You have to be sure that company is really what the person wants, though....I for one prefer to keep to myself when I'm not at my best, and only have my immediate family around me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...you need to check with the person first. One of my biggest pet peeves is when people just drop by unannounced. I need at least a half hour...enough time to change out of pj's, slap on a bra, and toss the mess into the nearest closet!

      Delete
  4. I'd be happy to go through surgery if it meant someone would clean out my refrigerator! I'm joking, of course. It's wonderful that you have such lovely friends and family looking out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! I am so happy to see Teresa's comment above because I was feeling like such a jerk for a second. I am not really that good with company because I feel like I have to be "on" when people are around. When I was initially hospitalized for my disease I was SO overwhelmed by all of the visits from family and friends that I made Rob keep secret where my eye surgery was when I had to have it a couple of months later. I simply could NOT handle it. Of course, in turn, it became easier and easier for me to shut people out during my entire recovery process.
    The thing is, we all have our weaknesses and flaws, and this, I know, is mine. I need to be more open with people in person, particularly, when I am vulnerable. I am going to work EXTREMELY HARD to accept the help that is being offered to me for when the baby is born next month (DID I JUST WRITE NEXT MONTH?!?!? *panic ensues*). It is a goal of mine. And, to tell you the truth, reading your blog and following your path to recovery has been helping me wrap my head around the whole idea of it, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're gonna have to let go of the need to be "on". I totally understand what you're saying, but when you need help you NEED help. And you will want help with the baby...trust me. You will be so happy for someone to come over just so you can catch a nap :) And I'm not talking about having a circus of people over...just one or two. Wait for my "F" post...it very clearly distinguishes the difference between company and friends.

      Delete