Monday, April 21, 2014

How To Keep Busy While Recovering: Reading Is Fundamental

http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/p/a-to-z-challenge-sign-uplist-2014.htmlI know, most of what I've been recommending has been a lot of TV watching...but I'm a TV junkie, so what do you expect?  I just don't devour books the way I consume entire seasons of television shows in a matter of days.  But when I find a good book, it's hard for me to put it down.  I really enjoy books that are a series because I like to get to know my characters really well.

Reading is a fantastic way to pass the time and it's certainly better for your brain than TV watching.  There is scientific research that suggests that it helps improve your memory, reduce stress, and expands your vocabulary.

Immediately after surgery, I couldn't read.  I was on too many drugs to concentrate on reading...which is why I watched a lot of TV.  I tried the whole audiobook thing, but it just puts me to sleep.  It was only after I got off most of the heavy duty medication that I was able to read again.

I enjoy reading e-books on either my Kindle Fire or my Nook.  Because of my medical condition, I have arthritis, and reading on an e-reader is just easier on my hands.  And the fact that I can get stuff from the library directly on my e-reader or buy books online...the instant gratification factor is undeniable.

Do you have an e-reader?  Do you prefer to read “real” books or e-books?

_____________________________________________________________
 


14 comments:

  1. Hey I've been completely against e-readers since they came out because there's nothing better than the smell of an old book, or the touch of paper because it feels like history. BUT I got a Kindle for my birthday and I hate the fact that I love it and now use it a lot more than I thought I ever would. I'm reading more books than I'd normally do with real books. But, I still haven't given up completely on paper. My shelves are happily full :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really is no substitute for the feel and smell of an old book. But the convenience of an e-reader is undeniable. Welcome to the darkside :)

      Delete
  2. I read both, and like both, equally. It is all about the story and convenience for me :)

    Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2014, My Latest post

    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Convenience wins out for me! Thanks for stopping by Damyanti!

      Delete
  3. My kindle died a week ago, and guess what my wonderful hubby got me for Easter? A NEW KINDLE!! Is he the best or what? I still read both, paper and eBook, but where it used to be a 50/50 split, it's now more of a 70/30 split, in favor of eBooks. They're just so convenient!

    True Heroes from A to Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great hubby! I think I'd go into a panic if my Kindle died!

      Delete
  4. I love my Kindle and old books... time and place for both, I think. And I love your Doctor Who shirt in your profile picture! I got my husband one like that for Christmas :)

    Nancy at Hungry Enough To Eat Six
    2014 A to Z Challenge Participant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a time and place for both. Thanks about my shirt...I made it for my Halloween costume :)

      Delete
  5. I have a nook color and I love it. Rarely do I now pick up a book. I still flip through magazines although I can get them on the Nook. Just not the same.....Keep on with the challenge. You are almost to the end. Good job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you mention magazines...they are better in paper, I think. I don't read a lot of magazines, but if I did, I'd probably still opt for the paper version.

      Delete
  6. recovery time is a good time for tv and movies. I don't have a portable e reader but I do have kindle on my pc. I am a real book fan because I like the smell and feel and look of a book not just the content. I am guessing when I start to travel I will want an e reader so I can cart my library around with me but I will always come home to a real book,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband likes books as well. But he's been known to grab my Nook and have a read if there's a book on there that he likes :) Thanks for visiting Cecilia!

      Delete
  7. I like both books and ebooks. I won a Kindle Fire, otherwise I probably wouldn't own one. It's great for all those ebooks that will never see paperback status.
    I had trouble reading after I got pregnant. It was like he stole all my brain cells and all my iron. :)
    Heather

    Heather M. Gardner
    The Waiting is the Hardest Part
    Stormy's Sidekick
    Blogging from A to Z April Challenge Co-Host

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you had a lovely pregnancy as well. What's up with the in-utero babies sucking the life out of us??? ;)

      Delete