Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Vincent Van Gogh #AtoZChallenge


...Vincent Van Gogh, one of the most famous and adored painters of all time.  His work, coupled with his life story, is heart wrenching to me, which makes me appreciate and love him even more. Although we can now look at his paintings and acknowledge the genius that they are, and he was, Vincent never experienced admiration for his work during his lifetime.

For a great, yet sad, take on Vincent Van Gogh, watch "Vincent and The Doctor" (click here for the IMDb page) ...it's a Doctor Who episode that I think any Van Gogh fan would appreciate, regardless if you are a Doctor Who fan or not. 

My last cell phone case was Vincent inspired (The Starry Night)...


And one of my favorite paintings of his, Cafe Terrace at Night, hangs in my bedroom...



And remember that lonely nail polish that I mentioned in my 'A' post?  Yup, that's Van Gogh inspired too!  And yes, part of the reason why I bought it was for the name, it's called, "Starry Starry Night".


And then there is this cool exhibit that I found while surfing the internet...



Who is your favorite artist, and do you own any of their works?



20 comments:

  1. I've always loved Van Gogh and was elated when I heard there was going to be a Doctor Who episode. the ending bring a tear to my eye. I also love the Don McLean song "Vincent", ever hear it? It's such a sad song, and a tribute to Vincent Van Gogh. I always feel like crying when I listen to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone cries at the end of that episode :'( I'm sure I have heard the Don McLean song, just can't place the tune off the top of my head at the moment.

      Delete
  2. The video was wonderful! My favorite is Starry Night. My favorite artist is Mary Cassatt. :)
    https://meinthemiddlewrites.com/2016/04/26/me-in-the-middle-of-atozchallenge-letter-v/

    ReplyDelete
  3. How weird that you would hop over to my place Katie and I come to yours and find my most favorite artist of aaallll time. My beloved, Vincent. I LOVE him. Thank you so much for this post and now I'm going to go in search of one of those cell phone covers! Thanks for stopping by again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Destiny! :) Glad you enjoyed my post and thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  4. I remember the first time I saw a real Van Gogh in the Carnegie Museum in Pittsburgh. It was so mesmerizing. Read Irving Stone's LUST FOR LIFE. It is a wonderful book.

    @Kathleen01930
    Meet My Imaginary Friends
    #AtoZchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look that up. Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  5. Amazing!
    And don't forget the song Vincent by Don McLean!

    You did a beautiful job on your posts this year! My only complaint? More Emmie pics! :) (I'll be back to catch the end)

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so sad that during his lifetime he sold only one painting and could not enjoy fame and fortune while he lived! Like your The Starry Night phone case! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's heartbreaking. Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  7. When I was a child, Rousseau's work really spoke to me, I found it magical. Now, though, as an adult, it depends on my mood. I live in Chicago, and there's always something new to notice at the Art Institute.

    @IsaLeeWolf
    A Bit to Read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the visit! One of the best things about living in or near a big city...museums!

      Delete
  8. I've always loved Starry Nights. Great post.

    Mary
    #AtoZChallenge V is for Vail

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vincent Van Gogh was an amazing talent and a tortured soul. Starry Nights is a favourite painting and I also love the song by Don Maclean. What a great exhibit in that video - must be incredible in person!

    ReplyDelete