Saturday, February 15, 2014

I Forgot The Chicken In The Chicken Soup...Again.

I forgot the chicken in the chicken soup...again.

Yes again.  My handsome hubby had made one of those whole chickens the night before (35 minutes in the microwave, by the way...Pampered Chef is my chicken hero), so we had the leftovers waiting to be turned into another culinary masterpiece.  Feeling pretty well yesterday afternoon, I decided to give my homemade chicken soup a go.  I stripped all the meat off the leftover bird and then placed the bones in a pot of water with some onion and carrots and got it cooking for a few hours (yes, I know that this should be an all day thing, but ain't nobody got time for that!).  All the leftover chicken was nicely shredded up and waiting in the fridge for just the right moment to go into the soup.

And in the refrigerator it stayed. Again.

Did I mention I did this trick before?
http://openclipart.org/detail/170849/cartoon-chicken-by-paweo111-170849
From Openclipart.org
A few years ago I invited my in-laws over for dinner and made homemade chicken soup from scratch.  We ate the entire meal, cleaned up, and my in-laws thanked me for a wonderful meal.  You know when you lay in bed at night, before you actually fall asleep, and your mind wanders all over the place...yup...it was then that my little mind remembered about the chicken.  My eyes bolted open and I said to my husband in a panic, “I forgot the chicken!”...I felt like such an idiot!  I served, of all people, my in-laws...my husband's parents...chicken soup without any actual chicken in it.  My husband and I laughed about it...what else could I do at that point?  And when I saw my in-laws the next time, I apologized for the lack of brain power.  Duh.  And you know what?  They totally noticed!  I mean, I guess most people (other than me) would notice a soup with a missing main ingredient...especially if the said ingredient is in it's name!  God bless my in-laws...they noticed but were too polite to say anything :)  Best in-laws ever.

My husband was the hero of the day yesterday...he noticed that the chicken was missing, and gently asked if there was any.  I started laughing after the initial shock of the realization that I'm losing my mind, again.  Crisis averted.  This time.

Anyone else losing their mind slowly?  Or is it just me?  Oy.

No comments:

Post a Comment