Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The Sore Throat Bug Has Gotten My Son

My son is on day three of a sore throat and yesterday he was running a low grade fever in the afternoon.  This morning I was able to convince him to come to acupuncture with me for a treatment, and we were given some very specific instructions by my acupuncturist:

  • Make him lemonade...the homemade kind with real lemons.  Add a little raw sugar or honey to sweeten it, but keep it on the sour side.  Of everything that he drinks today, this should constitute 80% of his intake.  The lemondade should help his throat and help get his gut moving things along.

  • He needs to take three of the Yin Chiao herbs, three times a day until he is all better.  Both my son and I have taken these herbs in the past and have had good results with them. 


  • No ice cold drinks or cold foods until he is all better.  Supposedly, cold foods affect the immune system.  As a little side note...my son only had a low grade fever for a few hours yesterday afternoon...about two hours after I let him have a milkshake.  Coincidence?  You decide.


Well, I had him take his first dose of herbs before we left the office, and after eating lunch, he is already complaining that he is bored...which is a good sign!

Do your kids do that?  Start complaining of boredom once they start to feel better?  I guess it's because they can't have friends over, and can't go out and play just yet...so they are stuck in the house for the rest of the day while mom makes sure that whatever bug they caught is really gone and not just faking us all out.

So, we wait today.  And tomorrow, if he is still complaining of boredom more than he is of his sore throat then I'll know to let him out into the wild again :)


3 comments:

  1. I had NO idea cold foods affect the immune system! No wonder people drink hot tea and eat soup while sick. Kids are always bored, it seems! They always feel like they have to be entertained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chinese medicine is really interesting. I've learned so much over the past few years...I feel like I'm more in tune with my body, which is good. Hopefully, my kids will learn to listen to their bodies as they get older...maybe it will help them be healthier!

      Delete
  2. I hope your son is feeling better today, the lemonade sounds nice and refreshing. I know what you mean about the boredom thing!

    ReplyDelete