Friday, July 4, 2014

Celebrate The Small Things -- July 4

It's Friday and I'm Celebrating The Small Things!  Celebrate The Small Things is a weekly celebration where some bloggers have decided to post about something worth celebrating...no matter how big or small it is.

This week I'm celebrating that even though I found two fraudulent charges on my checking account, they only totaled around $200.  This is the first time that this has happened to me and I realize how lucky I am that it wasn't thousands of dollars that were charged in error.  I know how scary identity fraud and credit card fraud is and that others have had it way worse than me.  Let's hope this never happens again!

I will have to close my checking account because the charges were made by stealing my account number, but this has given my husband and I a kick in the pants to do what we've been talking about for the past year or so...open an account at a local bank.  Goodbye big corporate government fed bank!  Hello to supporting local businesses!

I even got a free pen and lollipop when I opened my new account :)  Let's celebrate those too!

Happy 4th of July!


What are you celebrating?


If you'd like to Celebrate The Small Things, visit our wonderful host, VikLit @ Scribblings of an Aspiring Author for more information.  And don't forget to check out her co-hosts:  Diana Wilder, LG Keltner @ Writing Off the Edge, Katie @ TheCyborgMom, and CaffeMaggieato @ mscoffeehouse


 

15 comments:

  1. OMG Katie, I'm so sorry about your account. That happened to me once many years ago. I remember feeling so violated and angry. I hope the bank took care of the charges. Congrats on your free pen and lollipop. :) I have my account at a small local bank as well and couldn't be happier.

    I hope you're feeling better pain wise and know that I think and worry about you often. As always, thanks for being an awesome co-host. (((Hugs))) Eva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind Eva...it really humbles me that you would think about me and we've never even met :) The wonderful power of the internet! Hugs right back at ya!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the kind words Eva...it humbles me to know that you think of me and we've never even met :) The wonderful power of the internet! Hugs right back at ya!

      Delete
  2. Wow. It's good that you caught it early. I'm going to go ahead and celebrate it never happening again in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I caught it early too! I can't even imagine the nightmare that some people have to go through!

      Delete
  3. How awful! I'm glad you discovered what was going on before losing a lot more. My local bank has been great for me too. Enjoy the Fourth... and the lollipop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lollipop was done in by the time I got home :) We're very happy we switched to a local bank...feels nice to know we're supporting local business.

      Delete
  4. Identity theft - eek!! It happened to me once with a credit card. Thank goodness your problem didn't end up being too much money. Yay for getting a new account at a local bank, plus a free pen and a lollipop! Can't go wrong with those. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it wasn't too bad for you! At least nowadays the cc companies and banks are more aware of fraud and have protocols on how to proceed...not like 10-15 years ago.

      Delete
  5. Glad you discovered this in time although it's a horrible thing. I hope you have a great weekend and yay for lollipops and free pens LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love free stuff...pretty much if it's free, I want it :) It's a problem! LOL Luckily, the lollipop was eaten and the pen is usable.

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry you were a victim of fraud. There sure are some low-down people in this world with way too much time on their hands. Good call in switching to the smaller bank!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It takes a lot of willpower, but we use a credit card for everything we buy. We never pull our debit card out. I pay the card off every two weeks, when we get paid. The couple of times we've had our card stolen, we were responsible for none of it and all we had to do was use our debit card until the new credit card arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you caught it in time! (and glad it wasn't more.) We use a debit card but have the funds locked to a certain amount - no thousands to be found with us ;) But it is a huge problem. Hopefully, it will be your last.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Jennifer
    @Stephanie
    @T. Drecker
    Thank you all for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete