Saturday, December 28, 2013

3 Week Update -- Ankle #2


My stitches were ready (enough) to come out on Monday!  Thank goodness...I want to start rehabbing as soon as I, I really didn't want to have to go back to DC again.  There was a bit of leakage from one part of my incision, so she decided to put some “super glue” on my entire incision.  It's not actual glue, but a liquid stitch sort of thing.  It takes about a week to fully absorb into your skin, so I have to practice cast care for another week, and not get my foot wet.  I can sponge bathe around it, which is what I've been doing...and that feels soooo good :)  I can't wait until I'm able to soak it in the tub!  It will be like heaven.


Christmas day...and officially three weeks since my operation.  I've been doing pointing/flexing with my foot, but that's pretty much it.  I wanted to wait until I spoke with my physical therapist to really do anything with it.  We had friends over for Christmas Eve, and, thankfully, my husband did all the cooking.  I was able to enjoy the holiday, but needed to mostly sit in my recliner with my wedge so my foot can be elevated high enough.  I sat at the dinner table for maybe 30 minutes, and my foot had already started to throb even though it was elevated in the wheelchair.  I find that unless it's elevated above my heart, it throbs.  I remember with the last ankle (#1), it was the same.


Went to physical therapy for the first time since my surgery.  My therapist, Jenn, took measurements of my ankle and did a bit of stretching to my foot.  She also did the ultrasound machine (I call it the wand) to the bottom of my foot because she said it was really tight.  Even though she didn't do too much to it, I still ended up with my ankle hurting a ton later that afternoon.  I was surprised how much it hurt considering I barely did anything with it!  Jenn says that she wants me putting some weight on it...not a lot, but as much as I can stand...which isn't all that much.

Today is Saturday, and I've noticed I can put a bit more weight on my ankle than a few days ago...but it's still not a lot at all.  The rest of my body is really aching.  I did ask about my Celebrex again when I saw the PA on Monday, and she said that I have to wait another month.  I'm going to have to figure out a way to get to acupuncture...hopefully that will take the edge off.  The PA also switched me to Tramadol...she said it's a non-narcotic pain reliever and that this may help with my overall pain better than the Vicodin.  I've been taking it on and off since Wednesday, and it's been really messing with my sleep.  It certainly doesn't work as well for my ankle pain, and I can't really tell if it's helped with my body aches.  I'm going to try to take it during the day for the next couple of days and take the Vicodin at night...we'll see how well that works.

Wish I could write more, but this new medicine is kicking my ass and making me so tired.  Next week I have therapy twice, so wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment