Wednesday, November 12, 2014

The Princess And The Pea

My weekend away with my hubs was very relaxing, but not as restful as I had hoped.  That is the super short version of events.

Ever since I was a teenager, I've suffered from back spasms on and off.  Because of my bone disease, all the bones in my body, including my spine, aren't formed the way they are supposed to be.  This causes my muscles to want to protect my bones when they move a certain way that my muscles don't think they should be moving (can't we all just get along?  Apparently not).  Before I was put on my current medications, the spasms used to happen 3-4 times a year, as opposed to the once or twice a year now.  But even if it's not in full on spasm (meaning I can't move for days), there are many times that it is achy and annoyingly bothersome.

In general, I usually have a hard time sleeping in any bed that isn't my own (I have this all natural latex mattress at home and it's awesome!).  I've had better luck with high end mattresses, like the few Tempur-Pedics that I've slept on, and even air mattresses have been good when traveling (well, good enough).  If I don't have any of these, I end up with back pain, sometimes for days.  It makes for very uncomfortable traveling.

This past weekend was the third time that we've stayed at this particular bed and breakfast.  The past two times we stayed in two different rooms and both were very comfortable.  Since it's such a beautiful house to stay in, we've tried to stay in a different room each visit.  Well, the room we slept in this weekend had the softest bed that I think I've ever slept in--ever.  It was so soft that we just sunk into it.  I imagine that many people would feel like they were sleeping on a cushy cloud and would enjoy the entire experience.  I did not.  

Luckily I travel with an arsenal of medicine (just in case) and so after waking up Sunday morning, completely exhausted from getting hardly any sleep for the second night in a row, I started the muscle relaxer routine.  I took 2-3 Flexeril pills a day for the past 3 days. Today is the first day that I'm Flexeril free.

My back is almost all the way eased up...I can still feel where it's a bit tight in one spot.  Thankfully I didn't have any appointments in the beginning of this week and so I was able to stay in bed while my back worked itself out.  And many thanks to my husband...for, once again, picking up the pieces while I'm stuck I bed feeling like crapola.  I love you Jason!

What kind of mattresses have you found to be helpful for problem backs?

 

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed your weekend away but sad to hear you suffered because of the mattress. I know that if I sleep on a mattress that is too soft I experience aches and pains the next day. It must make travelling hard for you. Hope you are feeling rested now you are back in your own bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzanne! My back is finally back to "normal". Traveling is a pain in the you know what...I guess I just have to call ahead and ask what kind of mattresses people have! :)

      Delete