Tuesday, October 7, 2014

I Really Hate The Dentist

Yesterday I had my scheduled cleaning at the dentist, and I hated every minute of it!  Sorry Doc!  I have to say, that since switching to my new dentist about a year and a half ago, I do love my new dentist.  She is very nice and super gentle with me.  No pain when I have my cavities filled.  Even the kids love her.  BUT, I still hate the whole experience.

The scraping on my teeth...the stupid lead apron for x-rays...the x-ray thingies that are too big for my mouth...the polisher that sounds too much like the drill...the grittiness of the polishing cream...the man-handling of my tongue...must I go on?  Just about the only thing I like about my semi-annual cleanings is the super cool sunglasses that are provided for me so my eyes don't get blasted by the crazy bright light that they shine in your face.  *note to self: take a selfie next time with the sunglasses :)

Also, did I mention the amount of antibiotics that I have to take before my appointment?  Yup.  Once you've had an artificial joint (and I now have 6!), the ADA recommends that you pre-medicate before your appointment to minimize the risk of infection.  How this all works, I don't know.  I just do what I'm told and swallow 4 horse pills an hour before my appointment.  Oh joy.  I felt sick to my stomach all day yesterday because of the stupid pills!  And when I go back in three weeks for my filling (of course, I have a cavity), I get to pre-medicate at that time as well.  I'm really looking forward to that day...not!  I'll probably end up taking a Xanax for that appointment since just the sound of the drill raises my blood pressure and gives me anxiety.

So, while I finally have a dentist that I'm comfortable with, I still pretty much hate the whole thing. I have all the usual things that many people don't like about going to the dentist...and I have the whole antibiotic craziness to deal with too.

Anybody out there hate going to the dentist as much as I do?




3 comments:

  1. Dental cleaning procedures can be very tedious sometimes, and some avoid it altogether. But since it’s for our own good, it’ll be best to just bear with it. Anyway, it’s good to know that you and your kids like your new dentist. Thanks for sharing this with us. Take care!


    Benny Murray @ Dental Care of South Jersey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dental Magik provides a wide variety of dental services and procedures to address all of our patient’s dental health needs. By combining quality patient care with up-to-date technology, we are able to treat patients of all ages in a comfortable and relaxing setting. Our website includes information on the following Dental Services: Cosmetic Dentist, Family Dentist, General Dentist, Emergency Dentist, Dental Implants, Teeth Whitening, Dental Veneers, Dentures, Dental Crowns and more.
    Dentist in east brunswick nj

    ReplyDelete